Yesterday the sessions started with an per-registration meeting with Patrick Mead that I missed (boo) but I decided to go to Agia Sophia’s coffee shop (see yesterday’s post). After that I did a little detour to visit a couple of places…
This is home of Pike’s Peak Cog Railway which was, much to my dismay, closed. I wanted to go up to the top but it is closed for the winter so I looked around at all of the neat shops and happenings. It is a quaint little town that is like Gatlinburg minus the rednecks and fudge.
Garden of the Gods
This was a great find. I hiked a little and was able to be alone and still for a small period of time. As I was walking up and down the trails my mind was drawn to the students in our ministry and how they would love this place. There are trails, rocks to climb and beautiful scenery and for that pesky youth group kid their are even mountain lions roaming about. JUST KIDDING!
U.S.A. Olympic Training Facility
This was free as well. I just showed up and was able to get onto a tour quickly. The guide showed us where Olympic athletes train for shooting, basketball, gymnastics, volleyball, wrestling, swimming and showed us the weight room. In the weight room we saw the University of California’s swim team and training with them was Nathan Adrian who won gold at London in the 100m Freestyle. Pretty cool.
Dinner Jack Quinn’s Pub
I loved this place for the Irish atmosphere and authentic Irish food. They are renown for their fish and chips and their Irish Boxtys (potato pancake with fillings) but I was in the mood for something else: Corned Beef and Cabbage. That’s right! Since my wife did not come with me I get to eat all the cabbage I want. I highly recommend this place that is located in the heart of downtown Colorado Springs.
Monday Night Keynote – David Skidmore @sycamoreskid – “A Few Good Aquamen”
Great lesson as he taught in metaphor which is a lot like what Jesus did with his disciples. He used aquaman as a template for youth ministers. Below are my (sporadic) notes and hope you enjoy them. I am off now to hear Mike Cope’s early session.
– Job Description is crazy for youth ministers.
– Prayed for Jason and Elyse. 2 months in ministry
– This is kind of like that….
– Tokyo Water Park
– Bulls Eye Picture
– Gas Gauge
– Help is 172 km ahead
- “Don’t let NCYM be a destination.”
- “Let the overflow fill someone else up.”
– Luke 8:29—“Driven by the demon into solitary places.”
- How you get to solitary places.
- Renew yourself.
– Whale—frequency no other whale can recognize.
- Most whales are making sounds higher but it is low.
- It is never identified with other whales.
- Your teens are on a frequency that nobody can understand and some of you youth ministers are on a frequency nobody understands. Parents are on different frequencies then we are.
– 2 Peter 1:8
- Ineffective or unfruitful.
- Do we bear fruit?
– Super Friends
- How lame was aquaman?
- Every comic book…
- A hero…
- A problem
- A question
– Does he/she have what it takes to endure this?
– Micah 6:8
– It’s not just about depth but about distance. 20,000 leagues is not about how deep it was but how far they traveled.
– Our churches will let us stay on the surfaces. If God (Satan?) cannot make you bad he will make you busy.
– We are called to be a sycamore tree and not a savior.
– 1 Samuel 13
– “It is not within our power to place the divine teachings of God directly into the heart of another. We can only lay them on the surface of the heart, so that when the heart breaks, they are the first to fall in.” (Jewish Saying)
- We are the only blacksmiths people have…
See the slideshow below of images from yesterday